Friday, October 12, 2007

Catching up

A good thing about a big writing related push is I get to let household chores slide. :-) My husband understands, helps out, but even he, a man with a servant's heart, has limits. So today I tackled that teetering basket of ironing, glad to finally get to it. While I pushed that iron around, I called an out-of-town friend who recently had a heart attack. She sounded great, just like always. But she'd had a wake up call. After we hung up, I thought how we never know what tomorrow, or even today, will bring. We want to make our lives count for God's kingdom, for those we love. I'm blessed to have this opportunity to write inspirational novels and hope that what I write will help readers in some way. But one thing I'm certain of--the writing has helped me. The way I have my characters handle their struggles comes from my personal relationship with God. The writing has enriched my life, brought me wonderful friends, and yes, added some pressure, too. But nothing good comes without a price. I'm reading If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg. He reminds me that whatever we attempt when we dream big is a risk. Getting out of that boat, our safe, comfortable spot, takes courage. I'm learning God will give me exactly what I need if I begin. So whatever your dream, pray for guidance and strength, maybe even an idea or two. We're bound to fail, but God will pick us up. I'll spend a couple days catching up with chores and thanking God for His gift--the call to write and sit down once more to do what I must. With His help. One word at a time.

Blessings,
Janet

2 comments:

Myra Johnson said...

LOL, Janet! I trained Jack to iron his own stuff YEARS ago!!! Loved your post today. I have put Ortberg's book on my Amazon wish list and plan to read it very, very soon.

Janet Dean said...

Thanks, Myra! Tell me about that Amazon wish list. Does someone buy the books for you or are they from me to me?